Saturday, August 25, 2012

Lim Beng Hong, (Mrs. B. H. Oon) and Oon Guan Yong (Guan-Yong Oon), marriage 23 September 1927

The Straits Times, 30 September 1927, Page 8

Our Penang correspondent wire that Miss Lim Beng Hong, Penang's lady barrister, who returned to London last month, was married on the 23rd instant to Mr. Oon Wan Leong, eldest son of Towkay Oon Kheng Leong of Banka. Major-General Sir Neill Malcolm gave away the bride.


The Singapore Free Press and Mercantile Advertiser (1884-1942), 25 October 1927, Page 8

General Sir Neill Malcolm officiated on Sept. 22 at the marriage in London of Miss Lim Beng Kong to Mr. Oon Guan Yong, eldest son of Captain and Mrs. Oon Kheng Liang, of Banka, giving the bride away in the absence of her father, Mr. Lim Kim Soa, of Penang.


3 comments:

  1. I am the grand daughter of Mrs B.H.Oon and I would like to correct the statement.
    My paternal grandfather's name is Dr Guan Yong Oon and not Oon Wan Leong.
    Petra Oon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Petra, thank you very much for your comment. I have amended the subject head but kept the body text the way it was - that's the way it came out in the newspapers. I've tried but I could not find another notice of the marriage that I could draw text from. Malayan BMD quotes from published newspaper entries. I trust the amended headline, and your comment, will allow any reader to see the correct spelling of your ancestor's name. JS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Petra, I managed to find one with the correct name for the groom but the bride's name was misspelt.

    ReplyDelete