Wednesday, August 29, 2012

James Dollery Fettes, February 1931, England

Mr. J. D. Fettes. Death of Penang Water Engineer. Penang, Feb. 20. News has been received from England of the death of Mr. James Dollery Fettes, the Municipal water engineer here. He went home on leave in November, 1929, and was due back next month. He was due for leave some years ago but had delayed his departure. Mr. Fettes designed and saw completed the Batu Ferringhi water scheme which placed Penang outt of fear of any normal drought. As a cricketer Mr. Fettes captained the Penang C.C. and the Municipality for several years. [The Straits Times, 21 February 1931, Page 12]

2 comments:

  1. As his granddaughter I was told by my grandmother that he died from overwork. I am proud of his service to the cou;ntry where he had made his home for many years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm author writing a book about the North Coast of Penang. There is a chapter about the Penang waterworks and JD Fettes. I've been unable to obtain of a photo of him and. Is it possible for you to get in touch with me? Looking forward to hear from you.

      Delete