Friday, August 31, 2012

David McLeod Craik, death 1 August 1938, Penang

ARCHITECT'S 36 YEARS IN MALAYA. Mr. D. M. Craik Buried At Penang. Penang, Aug 2. The funeral of Mr. David McLeod Craik, the well-known Malayan architect, took place at Penang today. Mr. Craik, who was 65, had been in Malaya for 36 years. He first practised in Singapore and later moved to Penang. His wife died a short time ago in England. He leaves  one son and two daughters. Mr. Craik had been planning to leave for England shortly. He felt ill and died in General Hospital last night. Mr. Craik, the senior member of the Royal Institute of British Architects in Malaya, was born in 1873 and belonged to a south of Scotland family. He spent the early part of his childhood in the Stewarty and latter removed with his parents to Swansea where he received his education. After leaving school at the age of 16 he was articled to Messrs. Bucknall and Jennings, architects of Swansea and London from 1889 to 1894. Thereafter he served as an assistant in Glasgow, Edinburgh and Belfast. In 1898 Mr. McLeod Craik went to London serving about two years with Mr. J. M. Brydon, F.R.I.B.A, working on the plans for the new Local Government offices, Whitehall ; and afterwards one and a half years in a City officee. He passed his examination as student R.I.B.A., in 1896 ; Associate in 1900 ; and was elected a Fellow in 1903. To Malaya in 1902. Of his career in Malaya, Mr. McLeod Craik says that he came out in 1902 as first Architectural Assistant to the Singapore Municipality and remained about five years, when he resigned and started his own practice in 1907. During this period he designed the ricksha station at Kreta Ayer and the entrance lodge and gate and the chapel at the Bidadari Cemetery. As a private practitioner, he secured the largest job at that period, the Arcade for Alkaff and Co., which was erected at a cost of some $200,000. This was followed by St. Joseph's Cathedral and parochial buildings and alterations to the convent for the Portugese Mission, the Wesley Church and new schools, etc. of the Methodist Episcopal Mission, the Masonic Hall in Coleman Street, the New French Bank, Raffles' Place and other works. In 1913 as he desired to go on leave he arranged to join the old established firm of Messrs. Swan and MacLaren and eventually at the end of May 1914 left for Home on his first leave since his arrival in the Colony in 1902. He arrived just a month before the war was declared. He reported for duty as Lieutenant R.E. in September 1914 at Brompton Barracks and trained and took the 145 A.T. Co. R.E. to France in September 1915 and commanded the Company until he was wounded at the end of November 1917 ; after which he commanded the 566 Wilts Territorial Co. R.E. at Worgret Camp, Wareham until after the Armistice. He retired with the rank of Captain R.E. and was demobilised in August 1919 in Singapore. After demobilisation he returned to Malaya and proceeded to Penang wwhere he opened an office for Messrs. Swan and MacLaren with work for the Hong Kong Bank, two large residences and a new bank at Sungei Patani Kedah. On the death of Mr. P. C. Russell the name of the Penang branch was changed to Messrs. Swan MacLaren and Craik with Mr. Harry Robinson and Mr. Atkin-Berry as Mr. Craik's partners, and so continued until 1928 when the partnership was dissolved, and he resumed his old style and name. Work In Penang. Mr. McLeod Craik had carried out very many works in Penang. He was responsible for the erection of the K.K.S. Bank ; new premises in Bishop Street for Messrs. United Engineers ; the new St. Joseph's Novitiate and Chapel for the Roman Catholic Mission ; the seaside residence and entrance gates at North Beach. He prepared plans for rebuilding "Chatsworth" for Mr. Alan Loke and houses for himself, Mr. D. A. M. Brown, Loke Wan Ywt and Khoo Heng Pan at Penang Hill ; the new clubhouse and women's pavilion, Tanjong Bungah, for the Penang Swimming Club, and the large block of residential flats and motor car showrooms for Ho Kim Teik, and many other European residences ; also the Windsor Cinema, shops, restaurant, hotel and roof garden for Khoo Heng Pan, and Extension to Anglo-Chinese Girls' School and the new Methodist Church. He also carried out a duplicate of his design of the Wesley Church, Singapore, on behald of Beunos Ayres Methodist Episcopal Missions. High Reputation. Mr. McLeod Craik had a very high reputation as a valuator and licensed appraiser for European firms, the Municipality and Government and carried out a vast amount of work of this nature during his period in Penang and district. Mr. McLeod Craik was an enthisiastic Volunteer and original Member of the S.R.E. (V) and designed badges and buttons for that unit in which he served from 1902 to 1921 when the Volunteer force was reconstructed. He retired with the rank of lieutenant and joined the Penang Volunteers as a private and retired in 1925 with Long Service Medal. He was honorary secretary fo the Tanglin Club in 1907 and a keen bowler and skittles player. He won the professional pairs in 1905, partnered by the late Mr. V. A. Fowler (killed in action in 1916), and captained the Tanglin team in the last bowling match with Teutonia Club 1913-14. As a member of the St. Andrew's Society, Singapore, he prepared and supervised all the decorations for annual balls up to 1913, including the Coronation Ball in 1911 and did the same in Penang after the war. He was elected Chieftain for the year 1929-30. Mr. McLeod Craik was the oldest practicing Architect in the Straits Settlements. [The Singapore Free Press and Mercantile Advertiser (1884-1942), 3 August 1938, Page 5]

No comments:

Post a Comment