Friday, August 24, 2012

Heah Seok Yeong (Mrs. Lim Chong Chee), death 18 October 1948, Kuala Lumpur

Mrs Lim Chong Chee (nee Heah Seok Yeong) aged 44, passed away peacefully at No 27 Perak Road, Kuala Lumpur, on 18th October, 1948 leaving behind three sons and one daughter to mourn her loss. Date of funeral will be announced later. [The Straits Times, 20 October 1948, Page 6]

The remains of the late Mrs Lim Chong Chee (nee Heah Seok Yeong) will be removed to Penang for interment. The cortege leaves No. 27 Perak Road, Kuala Lumpur at 2.00 p.m. to-day, the 23rd instant for the railway station and the remains will be conveyed by night mail to Penang. [The Straits Times, 23 October 1948, Page 6]

5 comments:

  1. Doreen, The Straits Times 23 October 1948 says Lam not Lim. You'll have to contact them to change the name, but I don't think they are going to do that for an announcement that happened years ago in 1948.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My bad. I have checked again and you are right. Apologies. I have amended accordingly (changed from Lam Chong Chee to Lim Chong Chee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jeffrey,
      My name is Jon Lim Sun Hock, son of Lim Chong Chee & Heah Seok Yeong (sister of Heah Joo Seang). I enjoyed reading the posts you wrote re prominent Penangites, death, birth and marriage.
      I wonder if you have datas/information re Sheik Ahmad Meah & David Nathaniel, both architects in Penang over the trun of the 20th C. I would appreciate if you can write to my email: jonlimsh@gmail.com Thkq in anticipation.

      Delete
  3. Hello Jon. I have not come across either of them in my research thus far. I am not sure how to contact them but I understand that two leading authorities on old houses, and presumably therefore also old architects, could be Lawrence Loh and Tan Yeow Wooi., Also, I think Areca Books recently launched a book on Penang architects - I think the first in a series of books about Penang architects. I wrote the Wikipedia entry on Heah Joo Seang - it was a bit of a battle to get that one up - and I hope you enjoyed that too.

    ReplyDelete