Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Charles Fox Martin, Death June 1893, Taiping

The Singapore Free Press and Mercantile Advertiser (1884-1942), 5 June 1893, Page 4


Penang, June 5th, noon.

Yesterday at Taiping, Lieut. Martin, Assistant Commissioner of the Perak Sikhs, was thrown from his horse and his skull fractured. He is suffering from concussion of the brain and his condition is critical.

Lt. Charles Fox Martin, though one of the last accessions to the Perak Sikhs, has made himself exceedingly popular by his remarkable social qualities in addition to his merits as a soldier. He served in the 12th lancers as a non-commissioned officer and got his commission joining the 88th (Connaught Rangers). From this regiment he was seconded for service for five years on being appointed to the 1st Perak Sikhs. It was only the other day that he gave the Perak and Penang public a sample of his talent in things dramatic by his clever burlesque "Mr. O'Kaya of Pahang," produced with much success both at Taiping and at Penang. Much sympathy will be felt for Mrs. Martin in her anxiety at the severe accident that has befallen her husband, so widely known among his friends by the name of "Ballyhooly Junior."

Colonel Walker, who is at present in Singapore, will naturally feel much distress at the unfortunate event that will have deprived him for a time of the services of one of his best officers.


Daily Advertiser, 12 June 1893, Page 2

Another Sad Fatal Accident In Perak.
Penang Independent, June 7.

It is with feelings of melancholy regret that the painful duty is imposed upon us of recording the death of Lieut C. F. Martin, the popular Adjutant of the 1st Perak Sikhs, than whom no man in the regiment was better liked or respected. It appears that Lieut. Martin, accompanied by Mr. Burnside, the Assistant Secretary to the Perak Government, went out to the Taiping Rifle Range, at about 5 o'clock on Sunday evening last, their purpose being to exercise their horses over the jumps. After taking a jump, Lieut. Martin's horse must have slipped, as it fell, throwing the unfortunate rider heavily upon his head. When Mr. Martin picked up, he was in an unconscious condition, and was at once conveyed to his house. Dr. Brown was immediately telegraphed for from Penang, and he as quickly responded, and all was done that medical skill and friendly aid could render, but the unfortunate gentleman never recovered consciousness, finally passing away this morning at about 8 o'clock. His funeral will take place at Taiping this afternoon.

The late Lieut. Martin was a genial friend, a pleasant companion, and a man of sterling worth and ability. He was a well known contributor, under the nom-de-plume both of "Ballyhooly" and "Sacretache" to the Indian and Straits papers, and one of the best horsemen and athletes in the East. We sincerely sympathise with his unfortunate wife in her sad bereavement and with the numerous friends who knew, liked and respected him.

No comments:

Post a Comment